Go to previous article Go to next article Go to table of contents

Journal of Billings Grinnell Almy (1407-1C74)

Following is the continuation from the last Newsletter of the journal of Billings Grinnell Almy. (See introduction in Newsletter No. 85, January 1996.)

Friday, October 21, 1898

After breakfast went to the University. Found from the bulletin boards when my classes would begin and staked my claims in four different rooms. Also did some shopping with more ease than heretofore. Worked on German verbs in the grammar.

Saturday, October 22, 1898

Cloudy day. Worked on verbs and prepositions in morning. Read papers in afternoon and in early evening. Bummed a couple of hours off. A change looking in the shop windows and watching the crowd in Grimmache and Peter Strasse on a Saturday evening. My Deutsch Fraulein clerk sold me a pair of cuff buttons.

Sunday, October 23, 1898

The clearest day for three weeks. No fire needed. Trees are getting quite bare. Wrote a letter in the morning to Ada and in the evening to FEA. Church and Christian Endeavor with Mrs. Chase. Accepted invitation of Mrs. Maxwell to tea next Sunday evening. Mr. Tilton returned. Letter from FFA.

Monday, October 24, 1898

German in the forenoon and finishing up letters. Also sent on FFA's letter and note to JEA. In afternoon again visited the University to get use (sic) to it. Found the location of the laboratory for the first time. Read the news in Paris Herald. In evening saw Mr. Tilton's collection of Ansicht cards from his southern Germany trip.

Tuesday, October 25, 1898

A clear bright morning so I took what I supposed to be my last bicycle ride of the season. 13.5 miles to Napoleonstein, Peterskirche and Rosenthal and Goblis. Cloudy when I returned. Out about 3 hours. In afternoon heard my first and second lecture. Heinze and Wundt. Reasons for congratulations and also for sorrow. Understood but little to tell the truth. In evening went to Philharmonic Concert heard Lotte Lehman - good.

Wednesday, October 26, 1898

In morning heard two extra lectures and went to the laboratory. In afternoon saw the laboratory assistant and came out with the conclusion that I had come up more or less against a shrimp. Not much prospect for immediate work. Planning at present to take some 30-33 hours expecting to drop 10-15 of it. No letter this week so far-?

Thursday, October 27, 1998

Today I matriculated and shook hands with the powers that be. Also received my key from Prof Wundt who recognized me and remembered my name. Heard four lectures. Seem to catch more words but follow the thought very little. Changed my plan to study more and hear fewer lectures. Saw something of the laboratory. Introduction there is necessarily slow.

Friday, October 28, 1898

Slept later than four days before heard two lextures and felt rather gloomy over them. In afternoon went to a lexture in Psy. No better. With Prof. Wundt and Heinze again pulled myself together and understood better than before. No news from home or country line this week. Reread all the letters I had got from Ashland towards midnight.

Saturday, October 29, 1898

Got the letter I had been looking for for a week. Went around and caught up with the news at the reading room, then to the laboratory. Division from numbers 11-1. Talk and showing apparatus. In afternoon I worked out a scheme for laboratory work and took a two hours spin on my wheel. Had my picture taken at dinner. Dropped a card to JEA.

Sunday, October 30, 1898

The usual things spent nearly all day in sleeping, eating and writing. To church in the afternoon. Took supper with the pastor and his wife. In evening Mr. Lingle read an interesting paper on German universities.

(To be continued)

Go to previous article Go to next article Go to table of contents